We've had a really busy couple of weeks in year 5. Our new topic 'Scream machine' is well under way and we have spent lots of time thinking about the mechanics of roller coaster rides. We have studied shape poems in English and looked at timetables in maths.
This week we are having a visit from Dan the skipping man which should be great fun. Photos to follow.
Another busy week in year 5. We have designed and made board games for our innovate week and we all really look forward to playing them with parents tomorrow morning. We have also been carrying out experiments in science involving Diet Coke and mentos, see the video below for the results!
Next week is our final week before half term and we have planned a trip to the fair (letters to follow shortly) and a treat morning for those who have completed all home works are reads.
What another fantastic week we have had in school!! On Monday, we went on a gem hunt and managed to find precious gems that the alchemist had hidden around the school, we then used these gems to enhance our description by coming up with adjectives, similes and metaphors to describe them! We then progressed on to researching different gems and writing our own cinquains! A fantastic effort from all!
In the afternoons, we have been looking at religious art and about where in and when it is used. We have also had a go at purple mash, all children have their own login so encourage them to show you at home! We have also had an interesting afternoon learning about panning for gold and actually having a go ourselves! Pictures to follow!
The weeks are really flying by now and everyone is getting really settled into the year five routine. Most homework has been handed in on time so a big well done and keep it up! Thanks to all parents who donated food for our harvest festival and thanks to everyone who attended our McMillan coffee morning. Both were a huge success!
In class we have carried on our adventure on Alchemy Island which has led us to study soliloquies and also helped develop our questioning skills. We have also been writing and performing raps. Videos to follow.
Another busy week in year five. We have been writing non chronological reports in English and learning to read and write Roman Numerals in maths. We have been studying different pieces of music and thinking about how they make us feel.
Thanks to parents who came on our portal walk last week. We all really enjoyed it and managed to find some amazing portals to different dimensions.
Hello and Welcome to Year 5!
It is so lovely to see all the children after an amazing summer! We are already getting started with our first topic as we uncover the secrets of Alchemy Island! We have had an excellent week, with a visit from the Alchemist, plotting our journey and investigating different products taken from the Island! Keep checking the website for further updates.
Staying Safe Online
1) Don’t post any personal information online – like your address, email address or mobile number.
2) Think carefully before posting pictures or videos of yourself. Once you’ve put a picture of yourself online most people can see it and may be able to download it, it’s not just yours anymore.
3) Keep your privacy settings as high as possible
4) Never give out your passwords
5) Don’t befriend people you don’t know
6) Don’t meet up with people you’ve met online. Speak to your parent or carer about people suggesting you do
7) Remember that not everyone online is who they say they are
8) Think carefully about what you say before you post something online
9) Respect other people’s views, even if you don’t agree with someone else’s views doesn’t mean you need to be rude
10) If you see something online that makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or worried: leave the website, turn off your computer if you want to and tell a trusted adult immediately.
Information for Year 5
1) Please listen to your child read 3 times a week and sign the school organiser.
2) Homework will be given out on a Friday and expected in on a Wednesday.
3) Creative homework will also be given to the children and due dates/ date of issue will be recorded in their organiser.
4) PE days are currently on a Tuesday, however PE kit needs to be in school everyday.
5) Swimming will be on a Thursday afternoon for the first half of the year.
6) All children have timestable rockstars logins and purple mash in their organisers. These can be accessed from home and are a good way for children to practise their timestable and computing skills at home.